April 20, 2007
This is the beginning of the roof of the Irish Cottage. You know, I still need to come up with a better name for it! I found a tut somewhere using hot glue and raffia, so that's what I'm using. For now, I am gluing it at the top, in the middle and at the bottom. I looked at the tut long enough to get a general idea, then adapted it to what works for me, which means at first it was trial, error and a bit of screaming! I am doing it in very small sections - maybe 1/4 inch. I put the hot glue on the top and then push the raffia into the glue with a small stick. (this is the result of trial and error and many burns!) I have to hold it a few seconds to get all the pieces in the small bundle to get into the glue and stay. I pull it downward firmly and repeat the process in the middle of the roof, then the bottom. I put a few bunches of raffia on each section for the bulk. As you can see, I still have a ways to go to decide how to do the seams going across the entire roof. Haven't quite figured that out just yet, but I can refer back to that tut. I also stained the floors today, but not sure if I am happy with the results or not. Might have to go back and do that part differently. The gable is now in place, the chimney is finished (built) and all the furniture that came with the kit is done. The only "building" I have left to do is the fireplace trim inside the house. I stained the mantles, but need to stone the rest, which I might get to tomorrow.