I'm really having a great time with this project! Mother Necessity came by and helped me come up with some beautiful "tiled" tables that I am very happy with! Because we are trying to save every cent we can, I'm doing this project all with supplies I have on hand, with the exception of the foamcore. I found some punch outs, from the Newberg I think, that I decided to use for tables. I drew a checkerboard design on them, then painted in each square with either green, red or yellow. I gave it a turquoise border and covered the whole thing with polyurethane. With the exception that not all of my lines are perfectly straight, I love the results. I used the bottom half of a Michael's hutch for the front counter. I did the top the same way I did the tables, and painted the rest with the same colors. I found some brightly colored birds in my bead container. Not sure what their intended use was, but they look great on the walls. I'm still working on the trim, so there's still some places that look pretty rough yet. I balance the parts I don't like (trim) with the parts I do (decorating). I'm still trying to decide what I have that I can make the chairs from and if it would be too crowded to put a table or two in the center. I can't decide about the tables until I get the other three tables all in. Here's what it's looking like so far though.
Tonight I had to make a barbecue for a class I'm teaching tomorrow. We're doing the barbecue in honor of Father's Day. It's basically a trash-to-treasure project, but it turns out pretty cute. I'm gonna make a few steaks to throw on it.